When the clock strikes 12 on January 1st, the New Year has begun and for many of us ‘the new me’ says hello. New Year’s resolutions are all about bettering yourself and making the most of the year ahead. Quitting smoking, joining the gym, taking more photos: all are among the resolutions many people make. But by far the most popular subject is diet.
Veganuary has become a New Year’s challenge for more than 150,000 Brits this January starting off their year the healthiest way possible.
According to the Veganuary website, health and nutrition are two of the four reasons people become vegan in the first place. Amongst the benefits of a vegan diet are lowering of cholesterol, reduced fat intake and lower blood pressure. Differences in BMI (body mass index) are astounding: a person with a typical meat-based diet averages a BMI of 28.8, while vegans average just 23.6.
The statistics speak for themselves. But even if ‘going vegan’ was just for January, some good habits picked up will probably last, Especially if you’ve discovered a few dishes that you really enjoy!
Whatever the reasons that people adopted Veganuary, we can only applaude, and you can count on us to produce dishes that you will want to enjoy again and again. With this in mind here are a few recipes which we enjoy making as well as eating:
2 Grilled Artichokes
4/5 Sundried Tomatoes
80g Strozzapreti Pasta
100ml Sugo Piccante (tomato &chilli sauce)
1tsp Chilli flakes
Small Sprig of Basil
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling for 18 minutes or for a long as your packet recommends.
- Slice your artichokes and cut the sundried tomatoes in half.
- In a large frying pan, lightly sauté the artichokes and sundried tomatoes adding your sauce after 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce.
- Plate into a warm bowl and sprinkle the chilli flakes and the basil on top for the garnish.
- Avocado & harissa sandwich
10g Rose Harissa
4 Sundried Tomatoes
Bread of your choice
- Slice your bread
- Peel, destone and slice the avocado
- Drizzle the olive oil over the bread
- Spread the rose harissa over one slice of bread
- Place the avocado over the harissa and add the sundried tomatoes
- Add rocket and eat